Rodenticide Toxicity Medication

Updated: Nov 20, 2019
  • Author: Derrick Lung, MD, MPH, FACEP, FACMT; Chief Editor: Asim Tarabar, MD  more...
  • Print

Medication Summary

Give all patients with rodenticide overdose activated charcoal as soon as possible to prevent further absorption of ingested toxins. Ensure that their airway is protected. 

If a coagulopathy is documented, institution of vitamin K therapy is suggested. However, again, in the absence of documented coagulopathy, empiric vitamin K therapy is contraindicated. Intentional exposure to an anticoagulant rodenticide for suicidal or other reasons may require substantial treatment with very high doses of vitamin K for a protracted period of time, particularly in the face of exposure to one of the superwarfarins.


Antidotes, Other

Class Summary

Activated charcoal is empirically used to minimize systemic absorption of the toxin. It may be of benefit only if administered within 1-2 hours of rodenticide ingestion.

Neutralize the effects of the anticoagulant rodenticide-induced hemorrhages with vitamin K.

Activated charcoal (Actidose-Aqua, Char-Caps, Kerr Insta-Char)

Activated charcoal is used in the emergency treatment of poisoning caused by drugs and chemicals. A network of pores in activated charcoal adsorbs 100-1000 mg of drug per gram of charcoal. Activated charcoal does not dissolve in water.

This agent may be administered with a cathartic (eg, 70% sorbitol), except in young pediatric patients in whom electrolyte disturbances may be of concern. For maximum effect, administer activated charcoal within 30 minutes of poison ingestion.

Phytonadione (MEPHYTON)

There is no need to begin therapy unless the INR is greater than 2. No data exist to prove that such therapy prevents anticoagulation, although vitamin K therapy is shown to reverse anticoagulation once it develops. With long-acting anticoagulants, treatment may need to be at much higher doses and for a protracted period of time.